December Chronicles by Barbara

Being repetitive from our December 2020 column:  “Now only in memories and archival photos are our many December services with the, “Stone Soup” story, a roaring fire in the massive fireplace (still standing on the property), a Christmas tree, and the excitement of children in December.” 

“Stone Soup” has origins in Europe, a folk tale for kids of any age.  Variations include hungry vagabonds, or soldiers returning home, enticing villagers to prepare a cook pot for all to savor.  The key:  SHARING.

Another holiday tradition introduced at Christmas 2016 by Anya Kawka, UUFKC board chair, was TAIZE.  The evening gathering met in darkness, but soon many candles were lit.  Mainly there was quietness for meditation and reflection.  All spiritual paths were welcomed, and a touch of music came from simple chants.  At Easter 2017 we hosted anotherTAIZE gathering.  Since then, none.

The TAIZE community originated in France, composed of more than a hundred brothers, from Catholic and Protestant traditions, and thirty nations.   Founded in 1940 by  Brother Roger, he envisioned a community where kindness of heart and simplicity would be at the center of everything.

Short chants, repeated again and again, give it a meditative character.  Using just a few words they express a  basic reality of faith, quickly grasped by the mind.  As words are sung over many times, this reality gradually  penetrates the whole being.  Meditative singing becomes a way of listening to the eternal being.

In the Basin in 2006 TAIZE was Peace Memorial Presbyterian Church.  Then five years ago our brief celebrations.  Let us anticipate a UUFKC renewal of, ”Stone Soup” and TAIZE for December 2022.

At this Year’s end, and the slumber of nature, always remember, “MERRY MEET, MERRY PART”.

And, ”One kind word can warm three winter months”.   (Japanese Proverb)

###–Barbara H. Turk, Archivist